Tuesday, August 15, 2006

starting here, starting now.

it is EXACTLY seven months until my 26th birthday, and I feel that I have managed to pinpoint the source of my growing unhappiness.

when I was younger I didn't really care about too much about my physique. I would not categorize the changes my body has undergone between my basketball days as a high school freshman and 10 years later as overtly dramatic. but I suppose this is a normal source of depression for young adults, particularly young women who find that they are more or less plagued by the desire to change something in their daily lives.

I can honestly assert two things about this major decision: (1) I still harbor no desire whatsoever to improve my appearance for any sort of external reasons; this means, simply, that I'm not doing what I need to do in order to please some raging desire in my heart to start dating again. that is not for me. I am perfectly happy being single. (well, maybe not perfectly, but you get the idea.) and of course, (2) I am well aware that this will entail a HUUUGE lifestyle change, but at the core of me I will not change who I am and what I love; what that means exactly is that I desperately need to learn moderation. more to follow on that statement.

hence, the dramatic renaming and refocus of this blog. (I considered keeping this as my personal blog, in addition to maintaining a trip blog as well as adding a physical blog, but I figure, if I need to make such a dramatic change in my life and habits, why not integrate?) I figure, I can't live my life without the internet, but I can't afford a fancy schmancy journal/food diary or whatever it is the kids use these days, so I chose this. it should suffice for the time being...

I have been doing some research on how to start a weight loss program (at least on the motivational aspect), and the first thing everyone says to do -- besides consult your doctor, which is not practical for me considering the non-existence of my health insurance -- is to take down all aspects of my starting point. so *sigh* as embarrassing as this may seem, here are the stats. (but no pictures, bitches. that's... well, too weird.)

Height: 68.75"
Weight*: 220 lbs
Bicep / Arm: 14"
Bust**: 38"
Upper Abdomen: 42.5"
Waist: 45"
Hips: 47.5"
Thigh: 27"

* this is according to our ghetto scale, which I suppose I will have to rely upon for the purposes of this home-based weight loss program. measured at doctors' offices I range from 210-215, but we're going for broke here.

** I measure under my chest, like a bra fitting, not like a dress fitting. how sad is that number anyway!

to be perfectly honest, seeing these numbers is depressing. (damn... I'm not even as tall as I thought I was! haha!) but, it's a requisite part of this change. I have not yet decided if I will post a food journal on here; maybe a loose summary of one will suffice, or maybe even a weekly food journal would be cool. we'll see.

Top Five Goals: Week 1

1. do NOT cut out the gym, for WHATEVER reason. dancing around at home and walking up and down the stairs twice instead of once doesn't count. I live literally like five minutes from my nearest 24 Hour Fitness. the next nearest one is maybe seven minutes.

2. drink more water. I'm not a big drinker (of water, that is)... and I have noticed how I fare much better whenever I consciously try to drink more. I need to have a bottle with me at all times.

3. cut back on the alcohol. particularly the beer... ouch. this one will be a toughie but I am determined NOT to TOTALLY cut it out of my diet. or if I do wind up in that situation, I just need to refer to #2.

4. limit myself to two cigs a day. again, I am not planning at this stage to go completely cold turkey... that would be unreasonable. but at least I can tame down the smoking.

and 5. MAINTAIN DISCIPLINE THROUGH THIS BLOG!! I'll be updating daily, with major sentiments/details every Wednesday, and new measurements probably every 3-4 weeks.

alright people... and here we go, starting here, starting now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home