Tuesday, April 04, 2006

just so you know.

I already touched upon the subject of medical marijuana briefly with Dad, to which he vehemently said NO. understandable, I suppose, when it's been consumed in your family for decades.

when anyone else gets a fever, it's typically a sign of some form of infection, whether mild, moderate or severe. the body's natural defenses begin to attack the problem, thereby intensifying the body's temperature. however, when chemotherapy patients get a fever, it is called neutropenic fever, which indicates a condition called febrile neutropenia, or lowered white blood cell count. in English, that means that if Dad gets a fever, we have to rush him straight to the hospital for immediate treatment, and even on occasion overnight observation. this has happened twice since he has begun the harsher chemo regimen.

additional symptoms that Dad never had before, but are beginning to develop: sudden nausea, thus requiring the infamous Liz-donated bucket to be brought each time; violent chills, an allergic or hypersensitive reaction, and increasing amounts of hair loss.

I have often considered seeking out support groups for families of cancer patients, but I have never fared so well in arenas full of strangers. not that I don't get along with people, but sometimes people just... well, to be frank, piss me off. if I can't handle southern California drivers on the road, how would I be able to stand the emotional distress and overreactions of complete strangers -- albeit in the same boat, but still, not really? it's a strangely permeating thought. it's actually why I haven't considered investing in Weight Watchers meetings, which have proven to be nothing but successful for many friends of mine. I was reading an article at lunch today in O Magazine about successful weight loss. but again, as was advised on the latest installment of VH1's Celebrity Fit Club 3, sometimes it isn't always the perfect time to be losing weight.

unfortunately I look back on the past few years and realize that although I may have managed to get my life somewhat back on track after graduation, this weight loss/fitness journey of mine should have come looong before Dad got sick. I'm not entirely too sure what I can pin all my recent motivation on -- getting fired, perhaps, or maybe the pressure of turning 25, it could even be just to get generally healthy in the wake of Dad's illness -- whatever the real reason is, I thank God every day that it did come to me.

to all cancer patients, their families, as well as all the big beautiful ladies out there living, loving, laughing and learning proudly and boldly as they should -- here's to the first step...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home