Wednesday, January 25, 2006

therapeutic mini vacation.

it's simply unbelievable to me the sheer power of the therapeutic mini vacation. it would be an out-and-out falsehood to declare that this sojourn hasn't been accompanied by its own set of melodrama and spontaneity, but I must admit that I feel a great deal better, much more relieved, about my own situation and the direness it inevitably brings.

this blog exists as it does not because I'm lazy, or because I lack original thought, or even because I am afraid of what comes out of my typing fingers and where that may eventually wind up. but it almost serves as a beacon of maturity for me, an almost-symbol of how far I have come, and how much, much more I truly have to go.

today I spent the day in Sacramento, much of it with my good buddy Colin Sueyres from Berkeley MUN. God, I miss that good man. he was the kindest soul today and took me around his office, the California capitol building, etc. in traditional pseudo-politician form he graciously introduced me to all who occupationally associated with him on the daily. I already fell in love with one of his co-workers. plus, I got to briefly peruse the 2006-2007 state budget summary, particularly the portions that primarily concern education. truly good times.

this little voyage of mine to the Bay Area is nearly coming to a close, but already I feel like I have done and seen plenty of things that I otherwise had been unable to experience either as an undergrad at Cal or a visitor with my brother and his friends. I like traveling alone; perhaps, however, this sentiment only ever truly reaches me when I am traveling somewhere safe and in the comforts of familiarity. i.e., the Bay Area, or Washington DC even. what if I were to be uprooted and dumped off in... let's say... Seattle? haha, I kid, I kid. that would be, in the words of Aristotle, freakin awesome.

if this time away from home has taught me anything, it has shown me just how functionally well-off I am up here. with amazing friends, a couple of organizations I still feel at home with, a few jobs and schools lined up left and right, places to comfortably live abound -- again, why didn't I just stay up here while I had the chance? sigh.

one more trip back to Making Waves to see all my children and pick up Porsha, then dinner, then the old work crew (Matty, Anne and Liz) is coming up for the weekend -- tonight's the only night we'll all have together up here. I don't know how I feel about that -- I love the crew, they have become my second family and support system through the rough 'n' tumble of the past month or so -- but I kind of feel like I took this mini-vacation to get myself away from all things Orange County, people included. not that I don't want to see them, because I very much miss them. but it's a strange feeling, quite inexplicable if I do say so myself...

on that note, I will leave with an AMAZING blog that I found surfing around on the 'net one day... I wish I could post the words that meant the most to me here, but the author requests that loyal fans don't do that. so, here's the link. read on, enjoy, take a random insight into yet another issue in my life that, although I myself cannot personally dwell on in a blog, my loyal fans can always conjecture about and partake in via the Girl with a one-track mind and her sentiments on friends and sex. she is a flipping genius, I tell you... I'm almost ashamed of my handle now. :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home